Sunday, March 20, 2011

Boston!

Okay, wow. Lots to update on, mainly all about Boston though!


I arrived at Boston airport on the 5th March, and was met by Heather's husband, Mike. He drove me to their house, being the perfect tour guide on the way by pointing out different buildings and colleges and such! They live about 40 minutes out of Boston, so it was a bit of a drive! It was good though, meant I could switch my brain off for awhile because omg flying is so stressful.


When we arrived at the house, I was greeted by Heather, and her two kids, Abby and Logan. Two of the cutest kids ever!! It was a quiet night, we had dinner then Heather's parents came over to drop off their car so we could all go to the aquarium the next day!


The next day, which was the Sunday, we all headed out to the aquarium. While there, we met Heather's brother Jerry and his girlfriend Keegan (who works with the penguins!! cool, huh?), and her uncle Lenny and his wife Andrea. We had a really good day, had so much fun and the kids absolutely loved it! Loved meeting Heather's family too, they are all so kind and caring and made me feel so welcome.




Outside the Aquarium



On Monday, Heather, the kids and I took a trip to Rhode Island to go to Providence Mall. When we arrived we were all hungry, so went to the cheesecake factory and got lunch there which was so good! We also got some cheesecake to go, cause there's just no way we could have eaten it there (sidenote: we ate it a few days later and omg it was the most delicious cheesecake I have ever tried). We spent a few hours shopping, then headed back home. Had a really good day and didn't spend too much money haha!


On Tuesday, we had made plans to go to the Blue Man Group. I had heard of it and had seen clips, so I was really excited about seeing it. Jerry and Keegan also came along, and we all went out for dinner before the show. The show was amazing. Nothing like I had ever seen before. People keep asking what it was like and I really have no way of describing it. All I can say is that I imagine it is what an acid trip would feel like! So crazy. After the show, Heather, Keegan and I got a ride to the car in a pettycab (I think that's what it was called?!). It was absolutely freezing, but so worth it!!


Keegan, me and Heather - we met the blue men!




Me, Keegan and Heather on the petty/peddy cab!



On Wednesday, Heather and I took a trip in to Boston and went to Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market. It's like a big market place, and in the summer there's lots of street entertainment and stuff. Was way too cold for it that day though lol! This was the first day I actually got to see Boston in daylight, so I was so amazed with all the really tall buildings. Glasgow just does not compare in any shape or form. After we had shopped around, we headed for lunch. We had passed this place called Dick's Last Resort, and Heather explained that it's a restaurant where the waiters are mean to you - it's what the call a themed restaurant. I decided I'd like to eat there just to see what it was all about, and it was absolutely hilarious. It wasn't that busy when we went either so I can only imagine how funny it would be if there were more people around! When you go in, the waiter gives you a hat with a dirty/rude comment on it. Definitely my ideal job!


The next day we went to the outlet malls. Spent $100 on shoes. Oops? This was also the first night I tasted lobster, thanks to Mike's fabulous cooking!! I've never really been much of a seafood person, but I think that was just plain stubbornness on my part, not really wanting to try it. I did want to taste lobster though, just so I could say I had, and I loved it!! Will definitely be eating it again.




Hmmm can't really remember what we did on the Friday, I'm drawing a bit of a blank haha. I know we went to the cinema at night and saw Hall Pass which was hilarious! I think we just chilled out during the day.

On the Saturday, Lenny and Andrea invited us around for dinner. The live about 40 minutes away, so we left the house around 3pm and were at theirs for 4. They live in a beautiful house, and have the cutest cat ever! He has one eye! We chatted for awhile before dinner, and they are just the nicest people ever. I felt so welcome in their home even though I had only met them once before! Genuinely nice people, and I really hope I get to see them again. (I will, I will definitely be returning to Boston!)

Sunday brings us to my last, and one of my favourite days. Heather and I headed back in to Boston, with the main aim of going on the Duck Boat Tours (tour bus which turns in to a boat and goes in to the water). Well, we got there and found out that they actually hadn't started running yet, they didn't start for another 2 weeks. So we ended up going on another tour bus, called the Boston Trolley, and honestly I'm so so glad that we did. I had such a good day. It took you around all the main sights - Fenway Park, Cheers, Boston Commons, USS Constitution, Copley Square, Newbury Street, Prudential Center, MIT, Harvard Square - the list goes on and on! We got off at Cheers and went for lunch there, the food wasn't that great but it was a cool experience anyway! We also took a walk around Boston Commons (which I imagine will look gorgeous in the Spring/Summer), and walked around Little Italy, where we found a bakery which looked like the Boston equivalent to Carlos Bakery. A customer in the shop said that we had come at the right time, usually the queue goes right down the street! It was so weird though, cause inside the shop was really busy, but there was no queue, everyone just pushes forward until they get served haha. I bought a real Italian cannoli, and it was so so good!!







I'm pretty sure that sums up everything that we got up to, but I will definitely go back. Most likely in 2 years or so, but will go in the summer. Had one of the best weeks of my life!

As for what is going on back in Kentucky, just the usual. Going to class etc, but now I only have classes Tuesday/Thursday. SO GOOD! Me and the girls went out on Thursday for St Patrick's Day, but I'm not going to discuss that. Mainly because I remember very little from it, and we were all absolute disasters. Except Rebecca. Poor Rebecca had to get 3 drunken messes home. SORRY!

I'm hoping to go to New York with my friend Jackie soon, we're gonna try to plan something tomorrow. So exciting! New York City is one place on Earth I've wanted to visit for as long as I can remember, so that fact that it's actually happening just makes me act like a 4 year old in a sweet/toy store. Pretty much skipping around with glee. ALSO I BOOKED MY TICKETS TO LOS ANGELES AND FLORIDA TODAY YAYYYYYYYYYYYYY!! Oh my god I have literally never been this excited in my whole life. Spending 10 days in LA, 7 in Florida then I have to decide where I'm going for my last week. Will probably be between Washington DC and Chicago, unless I go to Chicago during term time.


Life is sweeeeeeeeeeeet!


Some random Boston pics:



Cutie pie!



Also a cutie pie!




Alive, uncooked lobsters!

No comments:

Post a Comment